second shell attempt, and this time it was macroscopic. one success was the incorporation of a more severe diagonal, however, looking at it now, i'm convinced i could push this a lot further. another change: charcoal. straight up charcoal. no vine. no pencil. just charcoal, and i'm not altogether sure if that was the right choice. i don't usually use charcoal but wanted darker line work on this drawing. and darker line work is what i got. throughout the whole thing. this new medium seemed to distract me just enough to prevent me from creating varying line weights. in review of my last drawing, i needed to work on darker line weights at the part of the shell closest to me and gradually fade those lines as they moved back in space. i failed to do that in my first drawing, and i failed to do it yet again in this one. however, i do realize now as this drawing hangs in front of me, it is much more three dimensional than i had thought as i drew it on the floor...so this element, i am moderately pleased with. I did enjoy drawing big as well. I thought the page would be hard to fill with such a small object, but it wasn't. It felt good to use my whole arm. Now, I just need to work on making it look alive.
In group critique, most things i saw wrong with my drawing, my group members did as well. Line weight was the biggest issue by far. More curvature to my lines would help the shell to look more alive. I need to work on loosing the rainbow effect of the concentric lines and focus more on the intricacies of the shell to generate the overall form.